Click the follow button to the right to stay updated on the latest updates to Civilization V Mac
Civilization V for the Mac App Store crashes after intro.
This issue has been logged with our team and we are currently investigating.
In the meantime, we have two workarounds that will bypass this issue:
- Create or use a non-admin user profile on your Computer's login page. To create a new account, follow these steps:
- Open System Preferences
- Select Users & Groups
- Click the lock at the bottom of the window and enter your Admin password
- Make sure the new user is Standard then fill out the new user info and click create
- Then click the Apple icon in the top tool bar and Log out of the admin account.
- Log into the new Standard user and Launch Civilization V.
- Create a support ticket and attach screenshots of your App Store receipts for Civilization V and any DLCs you may have purchased and we will get you a complimentary Steam key for Civilization V.
A ‘Not Optimized’ alert is displaying when I launch Civilization V
The above message is delivered by the Mac Operating System on all 32-bit Games and Apps. Apple is ending support for 32-bit apps in future operating systems (10.15 and above) and this warning is meant to inform users about the upcoming changes in 10.15.
The current operating system, OS 10.14 Mojave, is not affected by these changes. All 32-bit games should continue to function as normal. If you are experiencing issues with your game outside of this notification, please reach out to our Support Team, so we can investigate.
Downloadable Content or In-App Purchases aren’t showing up within the game
From the main menu in game, select the DLC menu to activate/deactivate Brave New World, Gods and Kings or the rest of your downloadable content.
For the Cradle of Civilization maps, go to Single Player/Set Up Game/Advanced Setup to access them from the Map Types drop down menu.
If the content still isn’t showing up within the game, follow the steps below:
Mac App Store
- Log out of your Mac App Store app account and restart your Mac.
- Relaunch Civilization V and your downloadable content should then display properly within the game.
- Right click Civilization V from the Steam Library menu and select Properties.
- Under the Local Files tab, select Verify Integrity of Game Cache.
- Once that completes, relaunch Civilization V and your downloadable content should then display properly within the game.
Random freezing on Intel HD 3000 chipset equipped Macs
This is an issue related to the unsupported Intel HD 3000 chipset. However, some users work-around it by setting the Terrain Tessellation option to high and restart the game. Even with that change, freezing may still occur.
Civilization V needs to be run on a Mac that meets all of the listed system requirements in order to fully bypass the freezing issue.
Unable to select the ‘Found a Religion’ option
Select a Founder and Follower belief in order to enable the 'Found a Religion' option.
Civilization V Steam freezes when saves are deleted on macOS 10.14
We’re currently investigating this issue. An existing work-around is to manually delete saves from the Documents/Aspyr/Civilization V folder.