This issue is usually seen when keyboard inputs are set to languages other than the listed supported languages.
The supported Keyboards are:
- English - U.S.
- French - French
- German - German
- Italian - Italian
- Japanese (Romaji, Hiragana and Katakana)
- Spanish - Spanish
The following workaround solves the issue:
- Launch System Preferences.
- Select Keyboard.
- Select Input Sources.
- Select Show Input menu in menu bar.
- Using the + to add a supported language keyboard.
- Close System Preferences.
*If text does not appear while in game, select the Input Menu from the right side of the Apple Menu Bar (typically appears as flag) and select a supported keyboard.